7 ways to prevent pressure sores:
1) Change is as good as a holiday – shift your position often and perform pressure lifts every 20 minutes.
2) Don’t sweat the small stuff – avoid moisture of any kind & invest in a good quality cushion cover.
3) Out with the old, in with the new – cushions have a limited lifespan. Replace, before they lose their pressure relieving qualities.
4) Get it right the first time – CE utilizes OT’s and Pressure Mapping to take out the guess work with technology & professional expertise.
5) Don’t let things slide – sliding or sheer forces can cause more damage than pressure, so avoid sheer during transfers.
6) You are what you eat– Poor nutrition and smoking contribute to poor skin health and increase the risk of pressure sores.
7) Dress for success- Don’t wear pants with buttons or thick seams and pockets that can cause pressure points.