· Make the move from solid to air: Although air tyres come with some maintenance, nothing beats the light, smooth ride they provide. Try the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre for the best of both worlds.
· Get skinny: A narrower tyre has less rolling resistance and you’ll get further per push.
· Become a smooth operator: Trade your treaded tyres for slicks. Slick tyres offer less rolling resistance and make rolling on smooth surfaces a dream.
· Going forward: Some chairs offer an adjustable rear wheel position. The more forward you bring your wheels the easier the wheelchair is to push.
· Get your bearings. Bearings can become clogged, worn and loose. A new/clean set will make your chair feel like new at a price that won’t break the bank.
· Trade in- mags for spokes: Spokes are generally lighter and have better push-ability and less rolling resistance than heavier mags.
· Let the pressure get to you: Ensure your tyre pressure is correct. Low tyre pressure dramatically increases pushing effort required.